It’s been a while since I posted! I didn’t write last semester because I didn’t feel like I’d made any progress, and looking back, my last few posts were not so happy either. But it’s a new year, and I can say now that I grew more as a person in this last month than I have in a very long time. I did some things that I’m not proud of, but I am very proud that I’ve done a lot in the last month to make some important changes, work which I plan on continuing. An early start on my resolutions, we can say. So here they are, for 2013 :
1. Be honest. Did you know the average person tells 2-3 lies per minute? I tell about that or more This is hard because I had to first figure out exactly when I was dishonest. But now that I have some triggers pinpointed, I can keep myself in check and break this bad habit. For example, I realized that I feel awkward when I talk to an acquaintance who I want to like me, so I try to make myself more relatable by being fake (insecure much?). And there are many other instances that I need to reel back in. So right now, I’m working on not saying anything at all if I feel the urge to make something up. Hopefully this will help me to be trustworthy.
2. Be a better friend/family member. This goes along with being honest, but I also need to gossip less. Like being fake, I do it when I feel uncomfortable or like I don’t belong, but that’s no excuse. And I need to be there for the important people in my life. I was even more high maintenance this year than usual, and I need to show my appreciation for the wonderful family and friends who took great care of me this year.
3. Practice more. And by that I mean every day, 21 hours a week. I realize there are going to be days when I only get in an hour because of classes and work, but I need to make up for it on weekends or easy days. Taking a day off is like starting over.
4. Take care of my health. This year was miserable, but if I focus on eating healthy, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep, then I’ll know I’ve done everything in my power to stay in control and it will save me stress and worry.
5. Do something worthwhile this summer. Probably getting a job at a local music store… I need $$$. But maybe I’ll be a camp counselor or volunteer on the side.
I’m excited to get started! Good luck and happy New Year, everyone!